One of the highlights of last week was that we got to meet one of my favorite authors, Wendell Berry. He came to SLC as the keynote speaker for a symposium commemorating the 100th anniversary of the birth of Wallace Stegner (Berry's mentor). It was quite a treat because, as you know if you've read much of Berry's work, he believes in mostly staying put in the place where he lives (Kentucky). The last time he was in Utah was 20 years ago when he came to southern Utah for a wake for his friend and fellow author Edward Abbey, so we jumped at the rare chance to see him.
Berry did a book signing at Ken Sander's Rare Books in SLC and that's where we got to meet him (as seen in the picture above). Berry is critical of our unthinking eagerness to jump on every new technology, so I decided that it would be bad form to bring my camera. I decided that I would just enjoy the experience of getting to meet an author whose work I like. But . . . a lady from the bookstore was getting Berry to pose along with the people whose books he was signing. It was clearly bugging him and after she took our picture he turned to her and asked, "Are you getting what you want out of this?" It was pretty funny. So I got my picture with him and didn't have to be the thoughtless annoying person to force the situation—have our cake and eat it too.
After the signing Berry did a reading at the masonic temple in Salt Lake. He's not a mason. It was just the place with lots of seating that they got for the event. It was cool to see inside the place. Berry read from an essay he is still working on about the economy. He's written a lot on how our current economy is wasteful, glutenous, and destructive and he brought this conversation forward in light of the current economic crisis. He thinks that we should be thrifty, self-reliant, and that we should nurture a local economy and made some great points about struggling with the question of needs vs. wants.
He also read from one of his short stories (very entertaining) and then did some Q & A. It was great to hear his written words in his voice and I think that I can "get" his fiction that much more now that I've heard him read it. I'm feeling a bit too lazy now to try to capture some of what he said, but let me give you some links to a few of his essays. He's really worth checking out if you don't know his work. BTW, make sure you realize that he has a sense of humor when you read this stuff.
Why I Am Not Going to Buy a Computer
Feminism, the Body, and the Machine
Home Economics—Analysis of U.S. Agricultural Policy
The Pleasures of Eating
Oh, sorry I missed this event. I'm jealous.
ReplyDeleteWell, you read one cookbook too many, Brady. It shows up in your comment that our society is "glutenous"--unless that is a commetary about our society having too much ability to stretch? Just kidding, it was an entertaining slip, made me laugh.
ReplyDeleteYeah, my spell check put that one in and I decided to let it sit. Sometimes it's better to say what you didn't say than to say what you did.
ReplyDelete