Probably a year after that, we moved to a two-bedroom apartment, hoping that we would get to use that second bedroom as a nursery. I found the quilt again but promised myself I wouldn’t finish it until I was actually pregnant—I didn’t want to get ahead of myself, which is such an easy thing to do when planning a future. Occasionally, over the next several years, I would come across this quilt, look at it and be sad for a while that we still
Well, all of that is quite a bit of exposition just to say that I finally get to finish my quilt. Early in March we were caught completely off guard by a positive pregnancy test. We were so reluctant to believe our eyes at first (I dreaded even taking the test—we’d had so many disappointments). Again, we’ve kept this pretty quiet, just so cautiously excited. This morning we got to hear the heartbeat, though, and it is becoming more and more apparent that the “someday” we felt assured of before is finally here.
This struggle with infertility has been one of the most challenging experiences of our marriage and we are grateful to be to this point. Sometimes people say they are grateful for their trials because they become stronger. I’m not sure I’m to the point where I can say I’m grateful to have struggled with this, that I’d have it the same again if I had the choice. I think if Brady and I had our choice we would have had a whole mess of kids by our eighth wedding anniversary instead of just barely expecting our first. But I can say that I am grateful to be where I am and for the things that have gotten me here. We have had a good life so far. I got to do things that I didn’t think I’d get to do until my children were older (go back to grad school, be “Professor Wiggins,” etc). Brady and I have gotten to work in the temple for over a year now, which has strengthened us tremendously. We have learned and grown a lot and have truly felt guided throughout this process, as difficult as it has been. So while I wouldn’t choose to do it again, I am grateful that we are where we are and to be a part of this miracle.
I realize this is much more of a sentimental post than we usually have on here, so I will end with practical stats now: 13 weeks, beginning second trimester, not really much in the way of morning sickness (strangely, lots of sneezing), due November 9th (ish since they seem to always change the due date anyway). So that means everyone will have to come to Knoxville to meet Baby Stinklebert (what Brady has dubbed the fetus—I’m open to other placeholder names, though).
I already said it on Facebook, but it bears repeating: I'm very happy for you. Congratulations. :)
ReplyDeleteThat is so great! Congratulations! I hope it goes well for you!
ReplyDeleteAnnalisa:
ReplyDeleteFirst of all let me congratulate you and Brady and your exciting news. As I read your blog, I was delighted to read your back story, and it reminded me of my experience trying to become a mom. I understand your feelings and emotions very well as I lived almost the exact scenario, just different details.
As you may know, John and I endured infertility for 7 years, including a miscarriage and a tubal pregnancy that almost took my life, until we adopted our now 12 year old son Brandon. A year later, quite surprisingly, we found out I was pregnant with my daughter Jenn. Past history had determined that I was unlikely to carry the pregnancy to full term, but 9 months later a beautiful little girl was born to us. It was a miracle that I was even able to conceive, and even a greater miracle that Jenn arrived safe and sound. I too, had given up on the infertility treatments and decided to just accept the circumstances were. I truly believe that Heavenly Father blesses us with the children we are meant to have when we are meant to have them.
I would never have chosen to endure that particular challenge and still can't say that I'm glad I went through it. Having a family is a very righteous desire. I was hoping for a large brood -- at least 4 or 5. But the things I have learned about myself and my Heavenly Father have, in hind sight, given me the understanding that I am not in charge and must accept the plan as it outlined for me. It has also given me empathy toward others in the same situation. When I was serving as Relief Society President several years ago, my infertility experiences were very helpful in helping others in similar situations. Each time I hear a story such as yours, I relive every emotion I felt while going through it. I also relive the joy I experienced when we adopted Brandon and when Jenn joined our family.
And FYI, your baby is due on my birthday. I feel so excited for you and just wish you well with everything as you move to Tennessee and enjoy that experience, the incredible miracle of pregnancy and birth, and especially the joy and the hard work that this new little spirit will bring to your lives. It is so worth the wait.
Congratulations again. I wish you the best.
Sharon
Hooray! A little college roommate for one of our kids! Of course you have to move far away to have her/him but we look forward to lots of future posts gushing on the antics and uniqueness of Baby Stinklebert.
ReplyDeleteStinklebert Eugene after his paternal roomatorial uncle, twice removed. Hooray!
ReplyDeleteRather than his paternal great grandfather with the same middle name. Better make sure he's clear on that.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Annalisa! Thank you for sharing your sweet story, and I am so thrilled that your "someday" has come. I already know you will make an incredible mother.
ReplyDeleteYour quilt is beautiful, as was your post. We are so happy, and I'm sure Benjamin will be thrilled to have a little cousin Stinklebert (he still thinks that's Brady's middle name, so I guess it's fitting.)
ReplyDeleteOh gosh, now I'm crying again. Congratulations to your little family! Life with babies is crazy, but fabulous and I know you are great parents already. So good to see you too!
ReplyDeleteAnnalisa, this was beautiful. Jonny and I are soooooo happy for you both - words just don't seem to do it justice - and can't wait to meet your little one someday.
ReplyDeleteHoly Wiggins! I'm obviously the last one to the party here...but Congratulations! Your offspring can only be witty, undeniably attractive, and reading by the time they're 1. So I'm sure Wig End is all a-twitter with little Bert's anticipated arrival. (Come on, it's better than Tinkle) As are we! Congrats again!
ReplyDelete